- This event has passed.
LGBTQ Language – PCAR
February 7, 2012 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
This webinar was hosted by the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape. It was not recorded.
LGBTQ Language: A Discussion Amongst Those in the Field
Presenters: michael munson (FORGE), Louis Marven (LGBT Center Coalition), and Terri Hamrick (Survivors, Inc.)
This open forum webinar addressed the following questions (and more):
1. Share your thoughts on the importance of LGBTQ language?
a. Name, organization and the above question as a way to introduce yourself.
2. What words would you recommend advocates use with all clients to create affirming spaces?
a. Follow up: What about when you’re working with LGBTQ-identified?
3. What words/terms would you advise advocates NOT to use?
4. What are your thoughts around the word “queer”?
5. How do you have an appropriate “teachable moment” with a client who uses offensive language?
6. What are the best open-ended questions to allow all clients to self-identify?
7. How do we engage our center staff, volunteers, and communities in conversations about language and respect?
a. This might lead us into an internal policies discussion
b. Could lead us into community mobilization efforts, outreach, is a part of a larger anti-oppression message.