Working with Transgender Survivors: Core Information for Domestic Violence and Allied Professionals (webinar)
March 31 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
A webinar with JWI.
This fast-paced webinar is designed to assist domestic violence advocates and other victim service providers in better serving transgender survivors. Many providers are committed to serving transgender clients, but seek additional information in order to provide more competent and sensitive services. This webinar will primarily focus on basic transgender concepts, but will include content specifically geared towards advocates. Many references will also be provided on where you can learn more about basic transgender topics, as well as more in-depth information on the intersections of trans survivors, domestic violence, and sexual assault.
Components will include discussion on:
1. The expansive diversity of the transgender community;
2. Exploring social, medical, legal and other options trans people may pursue;
3. Common barriers that trans people face when considering or attempting to access domestic violence and sexual assault-related services,
4. Resources on where to access more information on transgender survivors and how to provide more sensitive and respectful services; and
5. Practical action items you can start implementing today!
As a result of this training participants will be able to:
1. Describe who is included under the transgender umbrella.
2. List three barriers transgender survivors face when trying to access shelter services.
3. State at least two transgender-specific prevalence statistics.
4. Identify at last two questions victim service providers need to ask any transgender survivor.