Writing to Heal
Writing to Heal: Soothing the Soul (through words, images, and experiential activities) is a dynamic, experiential and reflective writing-based course that encourages and allows participants to transform feelings about past abuse, assault or violence into empowered hope. Participants will use writing, art, and movement exercises to address topics that impact many survivors and loved ones.
The six week courses include:
- Real-time phone-based writing groups (1 call per week for 6 weeks)
- Five different topics related to healing from sexual abuse/assault
- Scheduled suggested “assignments” (2 assignments per topic)
- Daily reflective posts (quotes, snippets, music, inspiration)
- Private online forum to share writing and art with facilitators and other classmates
- A welcome package with supplies and course materials
By the end of the course, participants will have learned new, rewarding techniques to work through old, challenging emotions. Survivors and loved ones will feel a renewed sense of hope, community and connection with themselves and with others.
The next course will begin in July 2013. We will offer four courses each year, with different topics for each course.
Who should sign up?
Writing to Heal: Soothing the Soul is designed for transgender folks, gender non-conforming individuals, and loved ones whose lives have been touched by sexual abuse or assault. (All other identities are welcome to participate! Likewise, people who have experienced other forms of violence will also benefit from this course.)
The course is designed for individuals who are at nearly any point in their healing from sexual violence. (If you have been recently assaulted, it may be best to work more slowly than this course is designed. If you would like a referral to a therapist in your area, please contact FORGE at AskFORGE [at] forge-forward [dot] org or 414-559-2123.)
How do I sign up?
Please fill out the contact form below:
Or, you can send direct email to tgwarrior [at] forge-forward [dot] org with your name and desire to participate. FORGE staff will email (or if you prefer, call) you back to fill you in on the details.
Once you are signed up, we will send you a welcome packet with the supplies you will need for the course.
What does it cost?
What do I need?
- The welcome packet FORGE will send you includes most of the supplies you will need for the course.
- Access to the internet (preferably in a private, quiet location).
- Access to a phone for weekly calls.
- An eagerness to participate and share with others in the group if you feel comfortable.
This project was supported by Grant No. 2012-KS-AX-0006 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this program are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.