#SAAM 2016 Umbrella Coloring Page Design Contest
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (#SAAM). Every year, FORGE (a national transgender anti-violence organization), focuses our social media efforts on raising public awareness about sexual violence specific to transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender non-binary individuals, loved ones, and communities.
We know that:
- Victim service providers benefit from trans-specific information, training, and guidance.
- Trans and gender non-binary survivors feel heard, validated, and supported when information about sexual violence is trans-specific.
Together, with increased knowledge and support, we can collectively make a difference in lowering rates of sexual violence and helping trans survivors access the respectful healing services they need and deserve.
About the Contest
For #SAAM 2016, we are inviting artists to design and submit a coloring book-style image of an umbrella. The image can be as simple or as intricate as you like. Designs should be scalable so they can be printed on 8.5X11” paper. During April, people will be invited to color the winning umbrella drawing, add their own images and/or words to illustrate the appropriate theme (see below), and submit the resulting artwork as part of FORGE’s #SAAM social media campaign.
We will use two #SAAM themes:
- For Victim service providers, we will circulate the umbrella coloring page with the theme: “How do you help trans survivors weather the storm?”
- For Trans survivors, loved ones and supporters, the umbrella coloring page will be paired with the broader prompt: “April showers….”
We encourage artists to be creative. Umbrellas can be many things: utilitarian, shelter, a bringer-together tool (think the “trans umbrella”), a spot of beauty or individuality, a shield, a symbol, part of a group dance or ritual…all of these concepts and many others will fit with FORGE’s #SAAM themes.
Photo: Silent Witness Peacekeepers providing safe passage to attendees of the 2014 National Sexual Violence Resource Center LGBT Summit
Submissions must be received on or before March 25, 2016.
The 3 best entries will be chosen as finalists and will be highlighted on the FORGE website.
- 1st place winner: 2 T-shirts with the winning design and a $75 gift card.
- 2nd place: 1 T-shirt with the winning design and a $25 gift card.
- 3rd place: 1 T-shirt with the winning design.
Entries should be emailed to: saam-umbrella [at] forge-forward [dot] org
- All entries must be received (electronically time-stamped) before 11:59pm CT March 25, 2016.
- All entries must be submitted with a signed waiver (below).
- Design submissions should be printable in black and white (outline style to accommodate coloring by others).
- Designs will only be accepted electronically (saam-umbrella [at] forge-forward [dot] org) and should be in one of the following formats: .eps, .pdf, .tiff, or high resolution .jpg.
- The 1st place design (or any part of it) may be used in promotions, material, literature, handouts, posters, and/or T-shirts.
- All finalists will be notified (by email) prior to the public announcement of the winner.
I (name) understand the above rules and conditions of the FORGE #SAAM 2016 T-shirt design contest. If my design is chosen, I release full rights of my artwork/design to FORGE and acknowledge that FORGE may use my logo design on any literature, material, T-shirts, posters or FORGE website.
Name to be included on website if in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place:
___ Please don’t include my name on the website
Zip Code: _________________
Download this information and form here: 2016-SAAM-umbrella-coloring-design-competition-FINAL