Pledge your commitment
December 10, 2012
Vice President Joe Biden recently said “trans rights are “the civil rights issue of our time,” putting into words what the Obama Administration had already demonstrated through action: a commitment to advance the rights of transgender people and SOFFAs (Significant Others, Friends, Family and Allies).
FORGE is very proud to be part of that federal effort. As the first transgender organization to receive a large, direct federal grant in 2009, we have been grateful for continued federal funding (five substantial federal grants), which allow us to focus our efforts on helping service providers better serve transgender victims of crime, and providing direct services to transgender sexual assault survivors. We have also been part of other key efforts, such as becoming a partner in the groundbreaking National Resource Center on LGBT Aging.
Our higher federal profile and extensive relationships with other national LGBTQ and mainstream organizations have allowed us to be part of seminal and influential events in 2011 and 2012. For example, we have:
- Attended two White House-initiated meetings, including the first one specifically devoted to transgender victims of crime;
- Joined and actively participated in the New Beginnings Initiative, the LGBT coalition that has been working with the Obama Administration on dozens of pro-LGBT policy changes;
- Presented on transgender aging issues to a White House-sponsored conference on LGBT aging;
- Recorded a training video for aging services providers, as part of an Executive Branch training initiative;
- Co-chaired the Policy Committee of the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, which, among other things, is leading the effort to make the Violence Against Women Act specifically address the needs of LGBT victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating and stalking; and
- Conducted training workshops at dozens of conferences for professionals and/or transgender people, improving many professionals’ abilities to better, more respectfully serve transgender people and SOFFAs, and greatly increasing the number of people who contact FORGE for referrals, technical assistance, and advice.
Through these initiatives, we help represent you and the issues you care about. You could help us do even more by becoming a financial supporter of FORGE. < Learn more about FORGE’s 2012 activities and how you can help!>
You can make a secure online donation today by going to: https://npo.justgive.org/nonprofits/donate.jsp?ein=20-1795062 or by sending a check payable to FORGE to PO box 1272, Milwaukee, WI 53201
FORGE is a non-profit organization with 501(c)3 status. Your donation is tax-deductible.